Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Where Am I Headed?!

Since yesterday, I have been trying to think about the top companies that I would like to work for. And the first thing to pop-up in my mind is... a blank! In our class about Career management, we were asked to list out the top 20 companies we want to work for.

Every time I would think about it, I drew a blank. Until a few minutes ago, I was in the same pathetic situation!

I just could not think about a company that I would die to work for. I have classmates who know exactly what they want, and where they want to go, and I have many friends who know what they want out of life, but to be honest, I couldn't pin-point any one company per-say!

I have heard time and again that if you work where your passion lies, then you will be able to excel regardless of anything else. So I decided to combine digital marketing with some things that I just love doing, such as:
  1. Helping Animals (as always)
  2. Travelling
  3. Cooking
  4. watching music videos/movies
I decided to fuse the thing I like most with digital marketing (specially social media marketing) to create my buzz campaign.

Though, thinking about it from a career point of view, I didn't think I wanted to merge my hobby and work life together.

I would love to work for companies that deal with travel (and maybe allow me to travel too). All the other options can probably be followed on a more personal level. Managing the Facebook or twitter account for companies in the travel sector is quite interesting. There is so much they can do using digital media! They have hardly tapped into the market.

Digital media is not just about setting up a twitter account or creating a Facebook page. The crux of social media lies in the interaction. Since I am fond of travelling, I have a good idea of what will attract a travellers attention using social media--and I know that no airlines or travel company uses social media to its full potential!

From here I began working my way up to where I want to work. Although I have still not ranked my preferences, I have a good idea about what I want to do. So the next time I walk into the 'Lifetime Career Management' class at Hult, I will have some idea of where I am headed.

4 comments:

  1. Good luck, Priya! As much as Hult wants us to start thinking about what we want to do now, digital marketing changes so much and so frequently that the jobs available now will be very different even from the jobs available when we graduate But still, it doesn't hurt to think about these things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adam... And as usual I am permanently confused about what I want... I have changed my mind about my career endless times! So I guess I am used to the 'change'... Good luck to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good decision Priyanka. Dont mix your hobbies with your professional life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Nisha... I won't... I guess to an extent I can (like we tried in CSR)... but I can't expect much out of them!

    ReplyDelete