Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Day In

I spent my day at home today... why? No class! YEY for that! I had to work on my blogs, this one, and the one for NOAH. First helped my uncle clear out the dishwasher, and then went to my room and started on my work.

Every morning, the first thing I do is go and check the number of followers on the Facebook page. Even 1 follower up and I am happy! It in a way makes my day! So coming back to why I chose this topic for my campaign. For those who do not know me, I am from India. I have seen many animals out on the streets. But I have also seen people helping them. Often the feeling of being of no use would overcome me, when I passed a pup begging for food on the street. The next day, I would find the pup dead!

The thought always daunted me; I kept wondering how I can give them something to comfort them. The fact is even when you send them to an animal shelter, they can hardly stay there for long. I know for a fact that the animal shelters in Delhi are flooded with dogs, but the workers don't give up. They try taking every dog off the street.

People may talk about spraying and neutering, but that is a far fetched option for most places in Delhi, I cannot even think about other parts of the country! Why? Not everyone would like to contribute to getting their neighborhood dogs/cats neutered!

Personally, though I have not calculated it with formula, I can estimate that if 1 person gets 1 dog neutered every year, it would solve the problem of 'stray dogs'.

The problem is that in a lot of places, across the world, there are dogs who get abandoned by owners. For countries that don't have a stray dog problem and where the local animal police are very active, this tends to be a much smaller problem than for many other countries. The animal rescue organizations always try to make it a better place for these voiceless beings. However, they often face problems.

I realized that through social networking, we get connected to people who live in different parts of the world. Some folks in Ghana know people in China who know people in Canada who know people in Brazil who know other people in Ghana! So say there is an animal in Ghana who needs help, and a local rescue group has posted it on their wall, through the network, people could actually share the same post and that animal might get the help needed!

This was why I started NOAH. To link those people with the same mission! The second aim is to connect individuals and organizations in developing places to people in places where they have learnt how to get that help!

So that was what I did pretty much the whole day (apart from having some yummy lunch and dinner!). My first stage is connecting with organizations who help animals in different countries. And believe me, it is not easy finding animal rescue set ups around the world when you don't know half the languages they use -- it is even tougher to share their content in English! For now this is it.

I want to watch Castle and relax for a while, before crashing!

No comments:

Post a Comment